World Book Day!

On World Book Day we were visited by a journalist who wrote a story about our school, sadly the article did not get published but the journalist was happy to share the story with us.

Brilliant Bookworms enjoy World Book Day at St Mark’s in Hard-backed Halewood by Eli Regan

There was no shortage of inventively dressed bookworms at St Mark’s Catholic Primary School in Halewood celebrating World Book Day. A welcoming board beckoned visitors with the sign ‘Riveting Reads’, with each teacher pictured reading their favourite children’s book.

A favourite author of both teachers and pupils was Roald Dahl. Maddie, dressed as Violet Boroughgood from Dahl’s ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’, said of Violet ‘She’s kind of a bit cheeky and has a strong imagination. She loves chewing gum.’ Other Dahl books she enjoyed included ‘Matilda’ and ‘The Witches’. Bethany, was another Dahl fan dressed as Miss Honey and Miss Hilda, and said his books ‘are a fun way to help everyone to learn.’

Harley, attired bravely in pink, was Dav Pilkey’s character ‘Captain Underpants’. Harley said of the book ‘I think it’s really funny.’

One little girl in Year 2 came dressed as a super heroine invented entirely by herself. ‘I couldn’t find a character I liked so I invented my own super heroine and wrote and made a book of it.’

James, dressed as ‘Grandpa’ from ‘Grandpa’s great escape’ by David Walliams, said he loves ‘Grandpa’s mischievous adventures and how he flies planes in World War 2’.

Year 2 teaching assistant Sheila Rigby, dressed as Beatrix the Strange from Harry Potter, said ‘St Mark’s got a great reading ethos throughout the year. World Book Day’s just a culmination of that. We are delighted with how the pupils have dressed up, but even more so, how they have made an effort to discover new books and authors.’

• St. Mark's Catholic Primary School
  • Fir Avenue
  • Halewood
  • L26 0XR
  • United Kingdom
  • Tel: 0151-288-8910
Governor Log In Admin Log In
Guestbook