Buddy is a Cocker spaniel/Poodle cross making him a Cockapoo. His breed is well suited for socialising with children and his non-shedding coat is ideal for people with allergies.
Buddy lives at home with Miss Ferguson and her family and went through intensive training before his introduction into school.
After extensive research there are many benefits of having a school dog :
- Dogs teach children about responsibility-by children having to think about the care and well being of a dog it can give them a sense of importance and satisfaction that they may not get from other responsibilities.
- Dogs teach children patience-they do not always do as they are told first time !
- Dogs teach children compassion-just like us dogs feel pain and emotion.
- Dogs teach children about socialisation-by the children learning how to interact with a dog they can better learn how to socialise with other children.
- Dogs are fun-they greet you with a wagging tail every day and put a smile on your face, even on a bad day.
Buddy has public liability insurance which means he is able to come into school. He regularly visits the vet for his vaccinations, flea and worm treatments and to ensure he is happy and well.
Buddy is based in his own contained area in the computer room when he is in school and the children are only able to interact with him under strict supervision and as long as parental permission has been given.
When he is moving around the school he will be on a lead and always with an adult. We hope he will be able to support children in all school areas, which may include reading, nurture groups and attendance.
I hope the children will gain a lot of enjoyment from having a school dog and there will be pictures on the website of all that he does.
Letters have been sent home with a permission slip attached. Please complete the slip and return to school as soon as possible. If you do not return the slip, it will be presumed that you DO NOT wish your child to have contact with Buddy.